Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Venice, Italy

October 13, 2015: From Como, Italy to Venice, Italy, arriving in the pouring rain.

We were lucky for a number of reasons. One, we had been to Venice before, spending 4 days post-cruise. I felt very sorry for those that this visit was their first time. No gondola rides. And problems with excursions. (One of our table mates told us how their Princess guide quit right in the middle of the tour ... they ended up with another guide. But with umbrellas up, they couldn't see the tour leader's sign. Apparently a couple of the tour participants got left behind on Murano ... although we heard later Princess did retrieve them. Walkways were up in San Marco Plaza, funneling everyone into the narrow pathways, making it even more difficult to keep up with the tour guide and slowing things down overall. And the Rialto Bridge was covered in plastic and scaffolding for cleaning and renovation.)

Second reason was just lucking out on how our luggage was handled. We had some slight dampness on the outside of our fabric suitcases so either they were stored under cover or brought aboard quickly. Others from our Switzerland group apparently had their suitcases left out in the rain as the entire contents were soaking wet. Princess took care of things by arranging to have everything washed at no charge but our Swiss travel companions were not happy campers and not sure I would blame them.

So what did we do? We got on the Venice People Mover and from Piazzale Roma just walked. And walked. And walked. We got to a few dead ends ... part of the fun of being in Venice. We even found ourselves wandering the streets near the hotel we had stayed at during our previous visit.

Notice that the reception desk is build above floor level.

Finally we headed back to the ship. The Island Princess was moored overnight in Venice, departing the next day at 1 p.m. Once we got back that first afternoon, we just stayed on board, enjoying our port side balcony as the ship sailed away through Giudecca Canal.

Coming up ... two days at sea and then Istanbul.


No comments: