Sunday, July 27, 2008

New NY License for Crossing Border

If you are a New York State resident, you will soon be able to get a driver's license that doubles as identification for crossing the border with Canada and Mexico.

Distribution of the dual purpose license will start September 16th. Not only will it allow travel between the U.S. and Canada and Mexico, but it will also be good for travel between the U.S. and the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The dual purpose license is optional and will cost an additional $30 over the cost of a regular license. For New York State residents that will bring the total to $80 which is still less than the cost of a new passport.

To obtain the license, motorists will have to give proof of U.S. citizenship and state residency when applying. For people that do not drive, it will be possible to get the enhanced license for a non-driver photo ID.

Link: NYS Department of Motor Vehicles

No comments: